Topped with a colorful crunch – onions pickled in French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard and dyed every gorgeous color of the rainbow – these burgers come off the grill hot, juicy and ready to put a smile on everyone’s face!
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) non-iodized salt
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) plus 4 tablespoons (60ml) French’s Classic Yellow Mustard , divided
- 1 large yellow onion (about 1 1/2 cups/375ml), thinly sliced
- Food Colour Preparation
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground beef
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) shredded red cabbage
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 FOR the Mustard Pickled Onions, bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to boil in small saucepan on medium heat. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup (60ml) of the Mustard. Add onions, stirring to mix; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- 2 DIVIDE onions and pickling liquid evenly between 5 small bowls or jars. Tint each bowl of onions a different color of the rainbow: Place 10 drops red food color in the first bowl of onions, 5 drops yellow plus 2 drops red in the second, 3 drops yellow in the third, 5 drops green in the fourth, and 10 drops blue in the last bowl. Cover bowls. Refrigerate 2 hours. Drain onions, discarding pickling liquid.
- 3 SHAPE beef into 4 patties. Grill over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through (internal temp reaches 160°F). Toast buns, cut-side down, on grill about 30 seconds. Remove from grill and immediately place 1 slice cheese on toasted side of each top bun.
- 4 TO ASSEMBLE burgers, divide cabbage among bottom halves of buns. Add 1 lettuce leaf to each and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the remaining Mustard. Place burgers on top and layer with rainbow pickled onions. Add 2 tomato slices to each and top with cheesy bun.