A hearty celebration of East African cuisine, this colourful stew offers a new take on the classic doro wat chicken stew, a famous Ethiopian dish. Key flavours include a traditional Berbere Seasoning blend along with Cardamom and Basil to bring rich, aromatic flavour to succ...
A hearty celebration of East African cuisine, this colourful stew offers a new take on the classic doro wat chicken stew, a famous Ethiopian dish. Key flavours include a traditional Berbere Seasoning blend along with Cardamom and Basil to bring rich, aromatic flavour to succulent chicken, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils. Sop up every drop with warm naan.Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 3 1/2 pound (1.75 kilogram) bone-in chicken pieces
- 4 tablespoon (60 milliliters) Berbere Seasoning Blend , ,divided (see separate recipe)
- 4 tablespoon (60 milliliters) vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) dried lentils
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
- 1/2 can (398 milliliters) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 teaspoon (25 milliliters) Basil Leaves Sweet
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Cardamom Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (or potato, carrot or chayote)
- 2 1/2 cups (625 milliliters) water
- 1 naan bread, plus additional to serve
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 Season chicken with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the Berbere Seasoning Blend. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches; brown on both sides. Remove from pan; set aside.
- 2 Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) oil to skillet. Add onions; cook 10 minutes or until browned and softened, stirring occasionally. Return chicken and juices to skillet. Add lentils, roasted bell pepper, tomatoes, basil, cardamom, sea salt and remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) Berbere Seasoning Blend. Add sweet potato and water.
- 3 Stir and bring to a simmer; cover and simmer 40 to 50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sweet potato is tender. Remove cover during last 10 minutes of cooking.
- 4 Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place naan on baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until very crisp. Cool then crumble into small pieces.
- 5 Spoon sauce over chicken to serve. Sprinkle with crumbled naan, mint and egg, if desired. Squeeze lemon wedge over top. Serve with additional naan, if desired.
- 6 Test Kitchen Tip: How to roast bell pepper: Place cleaned bell pepper halves on baking sheet, cut-side down. Broil or grill 5 to 7 minutes or until the skin has blistered and blackened over the entire surface. Transfer to a paper bag. Close bag. Let stand 15 minutes or until peppers are cool enough to handle. Peel off blackened skin. If desired, you can also use ¾ cup (175 mL) chopped jarred roasted red pepper.
Herbed Mushroom Sipping Broth with Avocado Oil Drizzle
Chunky Tomato Soup
GET GREAT RECIPE IDEAS BY CREATING YOUR FLAVOUR PROFILE.
Already have an account? Log in now.