Top bowls of this velvety, comforting soup with crispy potato “croutons” made with cubed potato fried until golden with a spoonful of olive oil and a sprinkle each of salt and McCormick Gourmet Paprika. Alternately, garnish with hickory-flavoured potato sticks or your favourite croutons.
- 2 tablespoons (30 mililiters) butter or olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot , peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 1 large potato , peeled and chopped
- 1 package (900 mililiters) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 mililiters) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mililiters) Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (5 mililiters) Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mililiters) salt
- 6 cups (1.5 liter) chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups (500 mililiters) shredded old or extra-old Cheddar cheese , divided
- 1 cup (250 mililiters) 10% cream or whole milk
- 1 In large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, carrot and celery, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add potato, broth, 2 cups (500 mL) water, Italian Seasoning, garlic and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2 Stir in broccoli; cover and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of the cheese. Using hand-held immersion blender, blend soup in pot until fairly smooth. (Alternately, let soup cool slightly. Carefully and working in batches, purée soup in blender. Pour into clean pan.) Whisk in cream; reheat, if necessary.
- 3 Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with remaining ½ cup (125 mL) cheese.
Test Kitchen Tip:
• Use caution when blending hot soup in traditional blender. Ladle in small batches and remove vent from blender lid, covering hole with folded tea towel to relieve pressure from escaping steam. Or, let soup cool completely before blending then reheat when ready to serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.