Barley is a versatile grain that plays well with many flavours. Here, we add a dash of Italian seasoning to amp up the base of this hearty, veggie-packed breakfast bowl.
INGREDIENTS 2 SERVINGS
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) cooked barley , kept warm
- 5 teaspoon (25 milliliter) Italian Seasoning with Flax
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) vegetable oil , divided
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 1/4 red pepper , diced
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 In a medium bowl, combine cooked barley with 4 tsp (20 mL) vegetable oil and 4 tsp (20 mL) seasoning. Set aside.
- 2 Heat remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) oil in a large skillet. Add onions, peppers, and remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) seasoning. Sauté until onions and peppers have softened. Add spinach and cook another 2 minutes until wilted. Set aside mixture.
- 3 In the same pan, fry eggs.
- 4 Assemble the bowl: Divide barley between 2 bowls. Top each with ½ of the onion and pepper mixture and a fried egg. Garnish each bowl with feta cheese.