This hearty, meat-free twist on classic tacos al pastor features a protein-packed filling of spiced pigeon peas, tomatoes and pineapple paired with a cooling coconut-lime cabbage slaw.
INGREDIENTS 6 SERVINGS
- Coconut Lime Slaw
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) honey
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) chopped fresh cilantro
- Pigeon Pea Tacos Al Pastor
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes , chopped
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) finely chopped pineapple
- 1 can (425 milliliters) brown Pigeon Peas , rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Oregano Ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 milliliters) Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Organic Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Organic Smoked Paprika
- 12 taco shells , warmed
- 1 For the Slaw, mix lime juice, olive oil and honey in medium bowl until well blended. Add cabbage, coconut and cilantro; toss to coat. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 For the Tacos, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add tomatoes and pineapple; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add pigeon peas and seasonings; cook and stir until heated through. Serve pigeon pea mixture in warm taco shells topped with Coconut Lime Slaw.