This gorgeous drink is as delicious as it is gram-worthy! Shaved pea flower flavoured ice instantly transforms from blue to purple when topped with a mixture of grapefruit and kombucha. Chilled seltzer adds a hint of fizz to finish off this refreshingly fun, faux-cocktail.
- Colored Ice
- 6 cups (1.5 l) water divided
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dried pea flowers
- Basil & Anise Syrup
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) Anise Seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Basil Leaves
- Grapefruit Kombucha
- 1 cup (250 ml) Basil & Anise Syrup chilled
- 1 cup (250 ml) freshly squeezed grapefruit juice chilled
- 1 cup (250 ml) prepared unflavored kombucha chilled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
- To serve
- 1 cup (250 ml) chilled seltzer water divided
- 4 orchid flowers to garnish (optional)
- 1 For the colored ice, bring 1 cup (250 ml) of the water to boil in small saucepan on medium-high heat. Add pea flowers; steep until flowers are hydrated and water is tinted blue. Strain through a fine sieve; discard flowers. Mix blue pea flower tea with remaining 5 cups (1.25L) water in large glass measuring cup, stirring until well blended. Pour mixture into ice cube trays. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 2 For the Basil & Anise Syrup, mix all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to simmer on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Strain mixture through fine sieve. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3 To make the Grapefruit Kombucha, mix Basil & Anise Syrup, grapefruit juice, unflavored kombucha and water in large glass measuring cup.
- 4 To serve, shave pea flower ice cubes using a food processer or ice shaver. Place 3/4 cup (175 ml) of the shaved ice into bottom of beverage glass. Place orchid in glass on top of ice. Layer with an additional 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the shaved ice.
- 5 Mix 3/4 cup (175 ml) Grapefruit Kombucha and 1/4 cup (60 ml) seltzer. Pour over ice and serve immediately to reveal color-changing beverage. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 beverages.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•Butterfly Pea Flowers are native to Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia. The dried flowers are used to infuse vivid blue color and earthy, green tea-like flavour into teas, drinks and dishes like rice desserts. When the pH of a pea flower infusion is changed (often by adding lemon juice), the vibrant blue color transforms to violet or magenta. Butterfly pea flowers can be found at many online retailers, as well as in some natural food markets.
•If you don’t have ice cube trays, freeze pea-flower tinted water in multiple resealable plastic bags. Break ice into manageable chunks when ready to shave in food processor.
•To shave ice cubes, place about 2 cups (500 ml) ice cubes in food processor. Pulse until desired texture, usually about 10 to 20 seconds. Remove any remaining large chunks of ice. Use immediately. 2 cups (500 ml) of ice cubes should yield about 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) of shaved ice.
•Don’t shave ice until you are ready to serve. Shaved ice will melt quickly, and you will lose the color-changing effect when the Kombucha meets the ice!