Crisp, savoury vegetable pancakes are light enough to be served as an appetizer or side yet satisfying when enjoyed as an entrée. Topped with a flaxseed spiced Greek yogurt, this flavourful dish is sure to get anyone to eat their veggies.
INGREDIENTS 5 SERVINGS
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliter) milk
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) goat cheese (chévre), softened
- 4 teaspoon (20 milliliter) Italian Seasoning with Flax
- 1 1/8 teaspoon (5.5 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 3 tablespoon (45 milliliter) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) finely chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) finely chopped green bell pepper (1/2 pepper)
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) grated carrots (1 large)
- 1/4 cup (50 milliliter) finely chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) baby spinach leaves, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) grated zucchini, squeezed dry (1 medium)
- 1 For the yogurt sauce, mix yogurt, milk, goat cheese, 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning and 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) sea salt in small bowl until smooth. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 For the pancakes, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3 Beat eggs, bread crumbs, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) Italian seasoning, 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt and pepper in medium bowl until well blended. Add zucchini and vegetable mixture; mix well. Refrigerate 5 minutes to allow mixture to firm up. Shape into 10 patties (2-in/5 cm in diameter, 1/4-in/0.5 cm thick), using about ¼ cup (50 mL) mixture for each patty.
- 4 Heat remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in same skillet on medium-high heat. Add half of the patties; cook 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve vegetable pancakes with yogurt sauce.
- 5 Test Kitchen Tip: Flaxseed, or linseed, comes from the flax plant, which is an annual herb. The seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fibre, and are commonly added to baked goods, smoothies, breakfast cereals and energy bars.
- 6 Oven Directions: Bake patties on a baking sheet in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 minutes.