In India, roti refers to a round unleavened flat bread. In the Caribbean, it resembles a flour tortilla and is usually served as a wrapping for a curried meat and vegetable filling.
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- 3 cups (750 milliliters) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 milliliters) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Garam Masala
- 4 to 6 tbsp (60-90 mL) oil , divided
- 3/4 to 1 cup (175-250 mL) water
- 1 Mix flour, baking powder, salt and garam masala in large bowl. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil and enough water until dough is soft but not sticky.
- 2 Divide dough into 10 balls. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into very thin circles. Brush both sides with oil.
- 3 For each roti, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large skillet on medium heat. Cook roti 1 minute per side or until top starts to bubble.