Montreal Steak Spice adds all the flavour you need in these outstanding burgers, but we decided to push the limit by adding a truly Canadian taste of potato chips, cheese curds and Peameal bacon for good measure. Grill up a batch to celebrate Canada Day or any other day.
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- 1 pound (500 grams) lean ground beef
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 small onion , coarsely grated
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliters) finely chopped cheese curds
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliters) crushed plain or ketchup flavour potato chips
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Montreal Steak Spice Seasoning
- 4 slices Peameal bacon
- 4 burger buns , split and toasted
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 In large bowl, mix beef, egg, onion, curds, chips, chips and seasoning; form into patties.
- 2 On a greased grill over medium heat, grill patties, turning once, until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C), 10 to 12 minutes. Near the end of cook time, grill Peameal bacon, turning once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- 3 Sandwich patties on buns with lettuce, tomato and Peameal bacon.
- 4 Test Kitchen Tip: For crushed chips, start with a couple of large handfuls potato chips. Seal them in a bag then crush with a rolling pin or bottom of a heavy pan. Or, pulse them in a food processor until in small pieces.