A classic Filipino treat, this no-bake purple yam cheesecake is the stuff dessert dreams are made of. Luscious ube cheesecake filling (think a sweet, nutty, vanilla-like flavour) sits atop a base of crunchy pistachios and graham cracker crust – the perfect way to end any meal.
- 3 tbsps (45 ml) cold water
- 1 envelope (7 g) unflavored gelatin
- purple sweet potatoes, washed
- 1 cup (250 ml) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pistachios finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar divided
- 1/4 cup (57 g) butter melted
- 1 cup (250 ml) Coconut Milk
- 2 pkgs (250 g each) cream cheese softened and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Place water in small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin mixture over water; set aside.
- 2 Pierce potatoes with a fork and place on microwave-safe plate. Microwave on HIGH 6 minutes until tender. Let stand 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Remove skin and cut into chunks. Allow to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, mix graham cracker crumbs, pistachios, coconut and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the sugar in a large bowl. Stir in melted butter until well mixed. Press mixture firmly into bottom of parchment lined 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan. Set aside.
- 4 Microwave gelatin mixture on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- 5 Place cooled sweet potatoes and coconut milk in food processor; cover. Pulse until smooth. Add cream cheese, remaining 1/2 cup (125 m) sugar, vanilla and gelatin mixture; puree until well-mixed and completely smooth, scraping down sides as necessary
- 6 Pour mixture evenly over prepared crust. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set. Run small knife around sides of pan to loosen crust; remove sides of pan. Cut into slices to serve. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.
- 7 Test Kitchen Tip: Ube, a bright purple sweet potato or yam, is a staple ingredient in Filipino cuisine. Ube are often used in sweet dishes and desserts and have a smooth texture and flavour similar to a typical sweet potato, but slightly sweeter with a bit of a nutty, vanilla taste.