Make this classic cake for all your celebrations. It's gluten-free so everyone can enjoy a slice! (Great baked up as cupcakes, too.)
- Vanilla Cake
- 1 cup (250 ml) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 ml) sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) xanthan gum
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 eggs
- Chocolate Icing
- 1 cup (250 ml) dairy-free gluten-free spread, such as soy margarine or vegan buttery sticks or spread softened
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 500 g gluten-free icing sugar (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Coconut Milk
- 1 For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans. Set aside.
- 2 In medium bowl, whisk cornstarch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- 3 In large bowl with electric mixer, beat sugar, oil, coconut milk and vanilla until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed just until blended (do not overmix). Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly
- 4 Bake until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely on rack.
- 5 For the Icing: In large bowl with electric mixer, beat spread and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix icing sugar and cocoa powder; gradually add to spread mixture, beating well after each addition and stopping to scrape down sides once or twice, until blended and smooth. Add coconut milk; beat until light and fluffy.
- 6 To assemble, place one cake layer on plate; spread top with some of the icing. Top with second cake layer; spread with remaining icing.