Mango Sticky rice or as it's known in Thailand as Khao Neow Ma Muang, is a favourite dessert during April and May when mangoes are in season.
- 1 cup (250 ml) sticky rice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Coconut Milk plus more for drizzling
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) toasted coconut
- Chopped peanuts, toasted sesame seeds and fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 1 Soak rice in warm water 4 hours or overnight. Drain well. Steam rice in a steamer basket in medium saucepan 25 minutes or until tender. (Add boiling water to saucepan as needed.)
- 2 Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar and salt. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Transfer sticky rice to large bowl. Gradually add coconut milk, mixing well after each addition until rice is evenly coated with coconut milk. Cover rice; let stand 20 to 30 minutes to allow coconut milk to be absorbed by rice.
- 3 To serve, arrange mango slices on 4 plates. Spoon coconut sticky rice onto each plate. Drizzle rice with additional coconut milk. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. If desired, garnish with chopped peanuts, toasted sesame seeds and mint leaves.