Day old rice is best in this recipe, known as Khao Pad Goong. Freshly cooked rice will work, but it's more likely to stick to your pan and produce a stickier fried rice.
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 3 cups (750 milliliter) cold cooked Jasmine Rice
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) vegetables, such as diced red bell pepper, asparagus pieces or peas
- 1/4 pound (125 gram) cooked, peeled and deveined small shrimp or cubed firm tofu (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) Thai Kitchen® Spicy Thai Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) Fish Sauce
- 1 Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in large skillet or wok on medium-high heat. Add egg; stir fry until scrambled. Remove egg from skillet.
- 2 Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, sugar and salt; stir fry 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned.
- 3 Stir in rice, vegetables, shrimp or tofu, chili sauce and fish sauce; stir fry 3 minutes or until rice is heated through. Stir egg into rice mixture.
- 4 Thai Kitchen Tip: For an extra kick, serve with additional Thai Kitchen® Spicy Thai Chili Sauce on the side.