The crunch of the gingersnap crust, the creaminess of the coconut lime filling and the fluffiness of the meringue topping will have your mouth singing. Savour every bite!
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- Gingersnap Crust:
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) crushed gingersnaps
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) flour
- 4 tablespoons (60 milliliter) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Coconut Lime Filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can (400 milliliter) Coconut Milk
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliter) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) water
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliter) fresh lime juice
- Meringue Topping:
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (50 milliliter) sugar
- 1 For the Crust, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place gingersnaps, flour and butter in food processor; cover. Process until well blended. Press crumb mixture firmly into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate to form crust. Bake 7 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- 2 For the Filling, whisk egg yolks in medium saucepan until smooth. Add coconut milk and condensed milk; mix well. Bring to simmer on medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of spoon, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 3 Microwave gelatin and water in small microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 minute. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in lime juice. Add gelatin mixture to saucepan; mix well. Cool completely. Pour filling into pie crust.
- 4 For the Topping, beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edges of crust. Bake 10 minutes or until meringue topping is lightly browned.