Thais love fish, in any form, at any time of the day. These crisp and spicy patties could serve as an appetizer, a snack, a hot or cold lunch dish.
INGREDIENTS 6 SERVINGS
- 12 ounces (375 grams) firm white fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) Red Curry Paste
- 1 egg
- 8 green beans, thinly sliced or slivered
- 4 green onions, tops only, thinly sliced
- 3 lime leaves, minced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) Fish Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 milliliters) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (5 milliliters) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vegetable oil
- Thai Chili and Ginger Sauce , To Taste
- 1 In food processor, add fish, red curry paste and egg; cover. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2 In large bowl, mix green beans, green onions, lime leaves and garlic. Add fish sauce, cornstarch and sugar. Stir to make a smooth paste. Add fish mixture; mix well.
- 3 In wok or heavy skillet on medium-high heat, heat oil. With lightly moistened hands, form ¼ cup (50 mL) portions of the fish mixture into patties. Slide 3 of the patties into the oil. Fry patties 3 at a time until golden brown on each side, turning once. Do not overcook. Drain on paper towels.
- 4 Serve warm or cold with Cucumber Relish, Spicy Cucumber Sauce, or Spicy Thai Chili Sauce.
- 5 Thai Kitchen Tip: To test mixture for flavour and texture, make a small patty and drop it into boiling water or fry in hot oil. For firmer patties, add additional fish or egg. For a softer consistency, add additional cornstarch or a small amount of heavy cream.