These fresh rolls are well worth the work. Everyone will be impressed when they find out they're homemade.
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) Fish Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) warm water
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) minced Thai chiles (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Spring Rolls
- 12 round rice papers wrappers (8 1/2-inch, 22.5 cm)
- 12 green leaf lettuce leaves (3x5-inch, 9x 15 cm), cut along the rib with rib removed
- 2 ounces (60 grams) Thin Rice Noodles
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) julienned peeled and seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) fresh mint leaves
- 1 For the Dipping Sauce, mix fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic and chiles in medium bowl until sugar is dissolved. Stir in carrots. Add warm water as needed to desired taste. Let stand 30 minutes before serving. Can be made 1 day ahead. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
- 2 In medium saucepan, bring 6 cups (1.5 L) of water to a boil. Add rice noodles; cook 2 to 4 minutes or until soft. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Set aside.
- 3 Arrange 1 heaping tbsp (15 mL) of chicken onto wrapper. Place a small portion of rice noodles over chicken. Place some cucumber, carrots and 4 to 5 mint leaves over noodles. Top with a lettuce leaf.
- 4 Roll wrapper according to package directions. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Thai Kitchen Tip:
o Cover prepared spring rolls tightly with plastic wrap as they will harden when left out and exposed to air. Serve rolls whole or cut in half just before serving. Spring rolls can be made up to 1 day before serving. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.