You’ve Got Questions, We’ve Got Answers
- Herbs & Spices
- Extracts and Food Colours
- Garden Fare No Cook Freezer Jam Gelling Powder
- La Grille Rub Marinades
- Sauces and Seasoning Mixes
- Rice Flour
- Golden Dipt Seafood Complements
- Where should Club House products be stored?
Most Club House products should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, away from the exposure to heat, moisture, and direct sunlight. Therefore, you should avoid storing products over the stove, dishwasher and sink or near a window. Some Club House products (such as La Grille Rub Marinades, BBQ Sauces and Marinades, One Step Parmesan & Herbs and Golden Dipt Sauces) require refrigeration after opening. If product needs to be refrigerated, this will be indicated on each product.
- Is there a general rule for doubling recipes or making half of a recipe?
Although cutting a recipe in half (or doubling, or tripling) is appropriate for some recipes, it may not give the best results in all cases. Changing recipe amounts can give a different taste, texture, or appearance than the original recipe. For example, when doubling a recipe, you should start with about 1½ of the seasonings to avoid having too much flavour and then adjust seasoning to taste if desired. Results of baked goods recipes, such as cakes or pies, are less predictable when amounts are changed. The pan size, baking temperature, and baking time may all need to be adjusted to give best results.
- What are the factors in determining the cost of Club House products?
As the leader in the spice industry, McCormick globally sources the highest quality spices and herbs from their native geographic sources, which are often in remote or hard-to-reach locations. Club House products are cleaned in a state-of-the-art spice mill and packaged to ensure long-lasting quality. Packaging, manufacturing and distribution also contribute to our prices. Adverse conditions such as inflation or drought can also have an effect.
Spices & Herbs are still one of the best bargains today. Consider how much food a single bottle will season:
- Oregano Leaves (11 g) - 150 slices of pizza
- Ground Cinnamon (50 g) - 645 slices of apple pie
- Paprika (50 g) - 550 portions of scalloped potatoes
Herbs & Spices
- What is the difference between a spice and an herb?
Spices and herbs are aromatic natural products that are used to flavour food. Spices are the dried seeds, buds, fruit, or flower parts, bark, or roots of plants, usually of tropical origin. Herbs are the leaves and sometimes the flowers of plants, usually grown in a climate similar to the Mediterranean.
- How can I tell if my spices and herbs are fresh?
There are three ways to determine whether spices and herbs are fresh: appearance, smell, and taste. Visually, you can check your spices and herbs to make sure that their colour has not faded. Loss of colour is an indication of flavour loss. A fragrant, intense aroma is characteristic of fresh spices and herbs. Crush the spices and herbs in your hand. If you do not smell the aroma, or if you taste them and the flavour is not apparent, it's time to replace your spices and herbs.
- Do spices and herbs spoil?
Spices and herbs do not spoil, but they do lose their strength. Old seasonings will not flavour your meals the way they are intended to.
- What is the shelf life of spices and herbs?
The shelf life of properly stored spices and herbs is approximately 3-4 years for whole spices and seeds, 2-3 years for ground spices, 1-3 years for leafy herbs, and 1-2 years for seasoning blends.
For more information please visit our Storage Tips page.
- Can I freeze spices and herbs?
Spices and herbs should not be stored in the freezer. Freezing does not extend the shelf life of regularly used dried spices and herbs. If stored in the freezer and repeatedly removed for use, the bottles may develop condensation, which can accelerate loss of flavour and aroma.
- How can I preserve the flavour and quality of my spices and herbs?
Replace the lid on bottles right after use. Measure seasonings in a bowl and then add seasonings to the pot. Do not sprinkle spices and herbs directly from the bottle over a steaming pot. Steam introduced into a bottle will hasten the loss of flavour and aroma. Steam will also result in caking. Make sure the measuring spoon is completely dry when you dip it into the spice bottle. The added moisture may cause caking or flavour loss.
Extracts and Food Colours
- What is the shelf life of extracts?
The shelf life of extracts, except Pure Vanilla, is approximately 2 - 4 years. Pure Vanilla has an unlimited shelf life. Always replace the lid on bottles right after use to avoid flavour loss.
- How can I remove a food colour: (a) from skin? (b) from kitchen cabinets or floors? (c) from rugs?
- For skin, try baby oil, thick hand cream, or vegetable oil. Thickly cover area (avoiding eyes) and leave on approximately 20 minutes. Use dish soap to remove the oily substance. Steps may have to be repeated several times.
- For kitchen counter tops wipe with liquid dish soap and rinse, then if needed use a spray cleanser and rinse with soap and water. If this is unsuccessful, mix 1 tablespoon (15 mL) bleach with 1 cup warm water (adults only) and wash area carefully.
- For rugs we recommend calling a professional carpet cleaner.
- Using food colours, how do I make the colour black?
Use 5 drops blue food colouring, 1½ teaspoons (7 mL) red food colouring and 1½ teaspoons (7 mL) green food colouring. However, this does not make a very intense black.
Garden Fare No Cook Freezer Jam Gelling Powder
- What is the shelf life of Garden Fare No Cook Freezer Jam gelling powder?
Unopened packages of Garden Fare No Cook Freezer Jam gelling powder have a shelf of 3 to 4 years. Packages should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from the exposure to heat, moisture and direct sunlight.
- Can I use frozen fruit?
Yes! Thaw frozen fruit in colander and discard excess juice, only use thawed fruit.
- Can I make jelly?
No! Garden Fare No Cook Freezer Jam gelling powder does not thicken fruit juices to a jelly consistency.
La Grille Rub Marinades
- What is the shelf life of Club House La Grille Rub Marinades, once opened?
Once opened, Club House La Grille Rub Marinades should be refrigerated and used within 6 months.
- When using La Grille Rub Marinades, can I marinate longer than 5 minutes?
Yes! However, the longer you marinate, the stronger the flavour will become. Beef can be marinated overnight and chicken for several hours. Fish should only be marinated for 20-30 minutes.
- Can I marinate and cook meat that is frozen?
Meat should be fresh or completely thawed before cooking. Marinades cannot properly flavour when frozen and meat will not cook evenly (it will be overcooked outside and undercooked inside).
- Can I substitute fish instead of meat?
Yes! However, some fish have a delicate flavour and texture. Therefore, 20-30 minutes is sufficient for marinating fish. Fish steaks, such as tuna, salmon, swordfish, and halibut, will have the best results.
- Can I use Club House La Grille Rub Marinades on vegetables?
Yes! For example, our Spicy Hickory Rub Marinade complements mushrooms nicely. Gently toss mushrooms with Rub Marinade. Wrap in lightly greased aluminum foil and grill.
Sauces and Seasoning Mixes
- What is the shelf life of Club House Sauces and Seasoning mixes?
Club House Sauces and Seasoning mixes have an approximate shelf life of 1 to 2 years. Packages should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from the exposure to heat, moisture and direct sunlight.
For more information please visit our Storage Tips page.
- What type of milk can be used with sauce mixes that call for milk?
Any type of milk may be used (whole, reduced, or fat-free); however, milk that is higher in fat will result in a creamier and more flavourful sauce.
- What type of oil should be used with seasoning mixes that call for oil?
Unless specified, a mild flavoured oil such as vegetable, canola, or sunflower oil is recommended. Olive oil will also give good results, but may impart its characteristic flavour. A highly flavoured oil like peanut or sesame oil might overpower the flavour of the seasoning mix.
- On your Classic Shortbread recipe, what is powdered fruit sugar?
Powdered fruit sugar is a finer granulation than regular granulated sugar but not as finely granulated as icing sugar. Also known as berry sugar or super fine sugar or castor sugar.
- Can Rice Flour be used instead of wheat flour?
Rice Flour cannot be substituted directly in most wheat flour recipes to make baked goods. As it lacks gluten, which gives batter structure and strength, the end result can be crumbly and dense. If you want to bake with Rice Flour, It is preferable to use recipes that specifically call for it as an ingredient.
Rice Flour is excellent for thickening sauces, gravies and cream pies. As a thickener, use two teaspoons (10 mL) for each tablespoon (15 mL) of wheat flour called for in the recipe.
Golden Dipt Seafood Complements
- What is the best length of time to marinate fish and seafood?
Marinate fish and seafood 20-30 minutes.