From 1883 to Today
Club House traces its roots back to 1883, where it first operated in London, Ontario (where we are still located today). Take a look at the time line below for a history of how Club House began, to where we are today.
Club House is Born.
In 1883, William Gorman and D.J. Dyson founded Gorman, Dyson & Company in London Ontario, Canada. One of our original products was coffee. Within two years, spices, extracts, and baking powder were added to the product line. It is said that William Gorman, the president of the company, built his business policy around three words - honesty, integrity and quality. This philosophy has served the company well in helping to make the name "CLUB HOUSE" one of the most accepted trade names in Canadian kitchens.
1890 - 1900
With R.C. Eckert joining the firm in 1886 and D.J. Dyson leaving in 1890, the company was renamed Gorman, Eckert & Company. At this time, the business also expanded to include Spanish olives as a major product.
By 1900, sales almost reached $200,000. A new four-story building was erected on Clarence Street in London to accommodate the growing business. Catsup, salad dressings, mustard are added to the product line.
1905 - 1909
By 1905 the company had established itself as the largest olive packer in the British Empire. In 1907, the company moved to larger quarters at 316 Rectory Street in London Ontario.
In 1909 R.C. Eckert resigned and W.J. Gorman continued to operate the company. Sales reached the $300,000 mark.
The company purchases I.X.L. Spice and Coffee Mills. Additional products such as jelly powders, peanut butter, flavoured peanuts, and peanut brittle are added to the product line.
1930 - 1934
The company feels the effects of the depression with sales decreasing 50% over this period. This resulted in many changes in the organisation, from layoffs to selling portions of the property.
In 1939, William Gorman died and his family continued to manage the operation.
1940 - 1953
By this time, sales had rebounded back to pre-depression levels. However, WWII brought on new challenges; importing became very difficult with many government restrictions. Other countries had also stopped exporting to Canada, which resulted in shortages of some products and innovative substitutes for others. In 1953, Maraschino cherries were added to the product line. Some original products, such as coffee, were discontinued.
The company is purchased by McCormick & Co., of Baltimore (the international flavouring and seasonings firm). Thus, the name changed to Club House Foods Ltd. to reflect the company’s major brand name “CLUB HOUSE”.
1964 - 1965
To enhance the extract division, pure vanilla is added in 1964. In 1965, seasoning and sauce mixes were introduced. With increased emphasis on spices, seasonings, and flavourings, products such as peanut butter, roasted & salted peanuts and prepared mustard were discontinued.
Club House’s entire spice line is revamped. Canada’s famous orange “pedestal” spice bottle is introduced.
With Club House a household name in Canadian homes, and the Company performing well, $2.3 million is put into head office renovations.
1989 - 1990
A merger with another McCormick & Co. acquisition (Stange Canada) subsequently changed the name for McCormick & Co.’s full Canadian branch to McCormick Canada Inc. The Club House Brand remains the largest and most significant product line for McCormick Canada Inc.
Club House La Grille Montreal Steak Spice is introduced in 1990, it is instantly loved across the country.
McCormick Canada is the largest Spice, Dry Sauce & Seasoning, Extract, and Specialty foods operation in the country. Recent product introductions like One Step Seasonings and the new Club House Ethnic Flavour’s further show how Club House is providing a way to make great meals easier for Canadian families.
In 2003, the company moved to larger quarters at 600 Clarke Road in London Ontario. 520 seasoned employees call Club House home.